Remembering Some of My Favorite Studio 23 Shows

I did not know, until I came across Bianca Gonzalez's blog post, that Studio 23 is going off air. In her blog post, she was reminscing her YSpeak days.

Back in college, I used to watch lot of TV shows on Studio 23 because its shows were different from the other free-to-air channels. YSpeak was one of my favorite shows. I instantly loved the show's format because it was youth-empowering. It talked about sex, politics, friendship and even showbiz. YSpeak made me realize that Bianca Gonzalez is such an admirable person. Anyway, even when I entered adulthood, YSpeak was still a favorite, although I did not get to watch it as often as I used to.

My other favorite show at Studio 23 was Digital Tour, a tech TV show that used to air on Sundays. It was originally hosted by Iya Yotoko and Carlo Ledesma (I unexpectedly met him at a WOD night class in CrossFit MNL Alabang). Carlo eventually left the show and Iya became the mainstay host. Iya's other co-hosts were Chunchi Soler, JC Gonzalez (Bianca's big brother),  Manu Sandejas (Agot Isidro's husband) and Archie Alemania (Mickey Ferriols' husband). Manu and Archie became Iya's long-time co-hosts, until the show went off air. The show featured gadgets, technology, Internet stuff and digital lifestyle, and because there were no other shows like it back then, on the other free-to-air channels, I instantly fell in love with it.

I know that at some point in time Studio 23 will have to go off air, but I did not expect that it will be that soon. Although I do not watch TV shows at Studio 23 often (and even shows at the other free-to-air channels) and  even though I'm already at my 30s, saying good-bye to Studio 23 is like saying good-bye to another part of me, the youth in me.

4 comments:

Marjorie G said...

Really, Studio 23 is going off air?! I didn't realize it wasn't doing that well. I used to watch some of their shows too, especially Myx.

Dennis Manalo said...

I used to watch MYX too, but the classic one (no VJs) and less mainstream music videos. They still have channel 23, but it's now a sport channel. If you go to studio23.tv, it will redirect you to ABS-CBN Sports + Action.

Alchris Mendoza said...

My housemate told me the same news yesterday, but it's just now that the realization sinks in me. I thought he just said that S23's signal had been tripped up by some sort of satelite problems...

Oh well, it's sad. Used to format our college TV station projects to theirs because their target, if we were right, were the yuppies and maybe younger ones.

Dennis Manalo said...

Haha. Parang ganun ang effect because they went off air. Anyway, yes, you're right... target audience nila ang mga young adults. At first, parang mga yuppies lang, then they slowly introduced other shows pang young adults from all walks of life.

Post a Comment